Formed in 2013, EAOP consists of undergraduate, post-graduate and PhD students of The University of Edinburgh and members of the University of Edinburgh’s Archaeology Society.
The intent of the Edinburgh Archaeology Outreach Project is to provide children in Edinburgh and it’s wider communities with free experience and insight into a subject that before may have been unavailable to them. We hope that through the project an interest in their local heritage, history and archaeology will be ignited.
In our efforts to bring archaeology to children we visit schools, bringing with us practical activities for them to partake in. Some of these include, but are not limited to:
- Digging for artefacts using real archaeologist’s tools
- Rebuilding pottery from an archaeological site
- Examining real animal bones
- Making clay cuneiform tablets
- Cave painting
- Artifact drawing
- Examining replica human bones